The First Ventura County Country Club
The creation of Ventura County's first country club in 1921 was big news and a sign of the sophistication the county had achieved. Founding president was banker, politician and agriculturist, Walter H. Duval. Board members included prominent citizens like banker and philanthroper, Eugene P. Foster, Limoneira president, Charles C. Teague, banker and rancher, Charles Donlon, agriculturist and oil developer, Charles C. Perkins, and agriculturist and land developer, Clarence Chrisman. By 1923, the first brochure was produced that listed all of the members. The name of the non-profit organization was the Ventura County Country Club (VCCC).
The Best In Design
The founders chose the best in design at the time. Golf course design was by George C. Thomas, Jr. and William P. Bell, whose works include the world-class, elite golf courses of the Riviera, La Cumbre (pictured below), Ojai Valley Inn, and Los Angeles, North Course country clubs. Clubhouse design was by Sumner P. Hunt and Silas R. Burns, whose portfolio includes the Wilshire Country Club, Southwest Museum the Los Angeles Automobile Club, and locally the Pierpont Inn and the Glen Tavern Inn.